The Oxford dictionary defines a loft as traditionally an attic or room over a stable. Art Loft Studio is a small building which sits firmly on the ground and is situated in paradise. It was a haven for another artist before me and was moved to its current location where it now serves as a studio and gallery to welcome visitors.
- National PANZ Exhibition Stratford March 2019
- Annual Mercury Bay Art Escape Open Studio 2011 – 2019
- Adams Awards Finalist, New Zealand Portrait Gallery 2018, 2012, 2010
- National PANZ Exhibition Morrinsville 2018
- National PANZ Exhibition Mapua 2016
- National PANZ Exhibition Auckland 2013
- Upstairs Gallery of Fine Arts Whitianga 2007
- Signal Gallery Waitakere, Auckland 2006
- Onehunga Community Centre Auckland 2006
- Auckland East Arts Society – Doreen Bawden Portrait Award 2005
- Fishers Fine Arts Auckland 2005
- Mairangi Bay Arts Centre Auckland 2004
- Kings College Sale of Fine Art Auckland 2003, 2004
- The Church Hahei 2003
I have been painting and drawing portraits for as long as I can remember. After an extensive career in Graphic Design my interest in portraiture eventually became a vocation and I worked for many years specialising in portraits of children. Now including adults too, I find it especially rewarding to bring a person’s best qualities and those significant years of a life lived into the work. My portraits have been included in many exhibitions and I have been a finalist in the Adams Portraiture Awards on three occasions.
Living on the Coromandel Peninsula I am surrounded by beautiful scenery and beaches and can take advantage of the infinite inspiration on my doorstep. While continuing to undertake commission portraits I also paint and explore new ways of reflecting our coastal environment.
I am very happy to see the huge diversity and increase in the use of pastel in recent years. Pastel as an excellent medium for achieving the life-like detail that I strive for in most of my work but there are many different ways for pastel to be applied. I conduct pastel workshops for people wishing to learn the technique of pastel layering and how to achieve different results with the many pastel papers available. I am available to travel to your location for groups of five or more people.
I am a member of PANZ (Pastel Artists of New Zealand) and a long-time member of the Mercury Bay Art Escape group. If you are travelling to the Coromandel area I would be delighted to meet you and share with you my current projects. See the Contact page for details to arrange a visit to Art Loft Studio, or to enquire about a painting, portrait commission, or Pastel Workshop.